Saturday, May 17, 2008

My Hero

This is my nephew Zachary. He is 7 years old.

He was diagnosed with leukemia one year ago.



He will continue treatment for 2 & 1/2 years. He has spent lots of time in the hospital, gotten a port, had meningitis and pneumonia, been in isolation, lost his hair and maintained a great attitude. Zach has had some cool adventures this year... swimming with dolphins, met Jake Peavey and been down on the Padres field, Make A Wish trip to Disney World and now he is the poster kid for Team In Training Rock and Roll Marathon. He is wise beyond his years, brave, brilliant and funny.



A couple of my favorite quotes from Zachary...when I told him that he was my inspiration after shattering my leg and I couldn't believe that he had to have treatment for 3 years and I wasn't happy about rehab for a year..."yeah, Aunt Diane and you are much older than me!" When I had my leg brace on..."Boy, I'm glad I have leukemia and not a broken leg, cause then I couldn't go swimming!"Before he lost his hair he said to his mom, "I don't know anyone that is bald!" She said,"Sure you do, Uncle Scott, Uncle Mark, Uncle Tom,Uncle Chris." Zach said,"But, no little kids." I asked him what he wanted for Christmas and he said, "I just want to get my port out!" He has to wait til the end of treatment. When we went to dinner one night after a very long day at the clinic receiving chemo, he pushed me in my wheelchair. Such a sweet, compassionate boy. I am proud to know him! He is a super hero!
We love you Zach!





11 comments:

ferntyler said...

What strength at a young age, amazing!

Nancy said...

It's good to see a child who fights such a good fight. My friend's 11 month old just got diagnosed as well, and we're hoping for the best.

Annemarie said...

Such a cute kid! YAY Zach!

Linda said...

He sounds like a well-adjusted and LOVED little guy and it sounds like your both lucky to have each other!

Travelin'Oma said...

What a brave little boy.

Annie said...

Definitely heroic. Great attitude and strength (and as Linda said, it sounds like he's well loved, too!). Thanks for introducing him.

tawnya said...

So sweet!

Ilene said...

Well OF COURSE he was reluctant to go bald with that beautiful red hair.

I love red heads. Don't tell my husband.

What an amazing attitude.

*katie said...

What a sweet boy with a wonderful outlook. Sounds like you two are great for each other:)

The Family Rasheed said...

This boy is real hero material. Isn't it so inspiring the strength our children have. I wish I had one once of that bravery and strength! Awesome!

Jessica said...

What a good little boy.

My heart, truly, goes out to him and his family!